Thursday, January 12, 2012

Realigning...reinventing...

I've always thought of myself as a writer--except when it came to profession, where I have thought of myself as "professor." It is a nice title, but it leaves me a little empty. After much thought, I realized I am a writer not just by interest, but by profession, and being a professor, which I love and enjoy, is actually my secondary job. Knowing my teaching gig is the solid paycheck that propels the rest of my career (or, perhaps re-discovering this), sets me in proper perspective and on a good track to move forward!

This came up when I decided against applying to a full-time tenure-track developmental English job. I'd basically be kissing my writing days good-bye. I have lived lean, about the same way I did as a grad student, not because I have to, but because I chose this way to write. So I shouldn't worry about others having more success than I do, or whatever whatever. I am a writer, following her heart and passion.